Hello There, Guest! Register

JANUARY - JUNE - 63 AD | PLOT POINTS ROUND 13

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you Serious? (Publius)
Gaia could see that she had made her husband feel something; his face was burning with whatever emotion it was. She had meant to make him react, and she was at least happy that he had reacted accordingly, by standing over her and scowling. Instead of being intimidated, she crossed her arms and glared up at him with equal amounts of ferocity. He said something about having married a man and she laughed derisively. "Well, then, I suppose I have not married a man either, but rather an insolent boy. Any man I have ever met has cared far more about their career than you do. And this conversation is my household; your career ensures this home and our shared future, so don't you dare tell me what to do, husband."
>>"Well, then, I suppose I have not married a man either, but rather an insolent boy."

Publius' eyes darkened with fury. He had never heard a woman, a matron of Rome, talk like that to the man of the house, not under any circumstances. This was... scandalous. And unexpected. Gaia was a smart woman, but she had never been bitter or judgmental. She was fast losing her elegant grace, and Publius did. Not. Care for this change.

>>"Any man I have ever met has cared far more about their career than you do. And this conversation is my household; your career ensures this home and our shared future, so don't you dare tell me what to do, husband."

"Don't YOU dare speak to ME like that!" Publius snapped, walking around the table to tower over her. His fist clenched as he stared her down. He had never considered hitting his wife; there was no joy in such a thing, and he'd never thought Gaia would require such education, although he knew that many women did. "I am advancing my career as I see fit. And I am providing for you. The moment that is not the case, the moment your household lacks anything, then you may ask. Respectfully. Until then. Don't. You. Dare."

He turned away, glaring at the table.

"I'm done with breakfast. You may retire to your rooms."
Gaia could see that her husband was furious, and she was glad that she was finally getting him to be passionate about something, even if it was her own insolent behavior. He snapped at her, telling her to not speak like that to him, and then he rounded the table with his fist clenched. This made Gaia quail a little bit. She didn't take Publius to be the kind of man to hit his wife, especially with her.... well, he didn't know that yet. She squared her jaw and looked him dead in the eye as he spoke, giving a little scoff when he said that he was advancing his career. Finally, the man turned his back to her and ordered her to her chambers. Gaia swelled up at this indignity. "You do not order me to do anything, Publius. I am your wife, not your slave!" She didn't move from where she was, giving him a defiant glare.
>>"You do not order me to do anything, Publius. I am your wife, not your slave!"

Publius froze, then turned around again with an exasperated sigh. He was already tired of fighting, and this was their first fight ever. How did men deal with wives that fought all the time? By beating them, probably, and by having mistresses. Publius was more inclined to the latter. Gaia did not deserve to be beaten, not yet. She was just bored and unsatisfied, as young women often were. Once she started having children, she'd find her place.
That, however, did not mean that Publius was not furious at her. Wives were not slaves, but they were under the complete control of the pater familias. Gaia still had to obey the man of the house.

"Fair enough. Then maybe I will go and find a slave who does what I tell them without argument." he scoffed, before he turned on his heel to walk away.
Gaia saw that her husband was tired of fighting. There was still plenty of anger within Gaia, arguments that needed to be made, and the news that was lurking within her mind. She watched as he suggested he would go and find a slave who would obey him and she sniffed. "Very well." She wanted to tell him that she was pregnant, but how to go about it? She took a deep breath and frowned at him. "Publius. I'm pregnant."